Recognition and Equipment information
CLASS 40




To work main-line passenger services the BTC ordered a fleet of 10, 2,000hp locos under the pilot scheme of the Modernisation Plan. The locos were very successful and several follow-on orders were placed giving a production run of 200 locomotives. The number range allocated was D200 D399.
The order went to English Electric, who sub-contracted assembly work to Vulcan Foundry. The engine used was of established EE design and previously used in both the LMS and SR main-line prototypes. For its new use it was classified 16SVT and set to deliver 2,000hp Electric equipment was provided by English Electric. The large loco was mounted on a 1Co-Co1 wheel configuration with a length of 69ft 6in. Construction of the first loco commenced in 1956 and the finished product was unveiled in March 1958. After its initial on works testing, it was moved to London and allocated to Stratford depot. The locos first outing was on March 18, 1958 when it powered a special from Liverpool Street to Norwich and back.
By September 1958 the 10 locos of the original order were in service and by this time the BTC had placed several follow-on orders. During the summer of 1959 the operational area was increased when ER (GN) services became diesel powered. By May 1959 the first of the follow-on batches were emerging, being allocated to the London Midland Region. Between May 1959 and September 1962 the locos were delivered at a rate of more than one per month, all except the batch D305-D324 being built by Vulcan Foundry. Nos. D305-D324 were built by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn of Darlington. Allocation was divided between the Eastern, London Midland and Scottish Regions.
When built locos Nos. D200-D323 were fitted with the steam era disc train identification system. By the time Nos. D324 D344 were built this had been superseded by the 4-character alpha/numeric system, two characters fitted either side of the central gangway connection. By early 1961 when the nose end doors were decreed obsolete, Nos. D345-D399 were built with a solid 4-character route box on the nose end.
Train heating was provided by a steam boiler, however when No. D255 was built an early form of Electric Train Supply (ETS) was fitted. Due to the general lack of suitable stock the equipment was used on only a handful of occasions and removed in the mid 1960s.
The fleet were identified as Class 40 under the numerical classification system and remained in general service until 1985 when the class was deemed obsolete. One locomotive, the pioneer No. D200 was retained by BR and used on enthusiasts' specials and withdrawn in May 1988. Several of the fleet have been saved by enthusiast groups who have restored them to full operational condition.
When built the locos were all outshopped in BR green livery, yellow warning panels being added in the mid 1960s. From 1967 locomotives were repainted in BR blue. No D306 (40106) was retained in green with yellow warning ends. No. D200 is part of the National Collection at York.


English Electric Type 4, later Class 40 No. D200 in original as built condition and viewed from its No. 2 end. The loco is painted in BR green livery with white wall tyres for its official delivery photograph. The buffer beam is finished in red. CJM Collection.

Locos D345-D399 were built with a very much cleaned up front end, incorporating a four-charactor central route indicator box, as shown above left on No. D399, the final loco of the build, outside Vulcan Foundry awaiting delivery. The view above right shows No. 40196 painted in standard rail blue with full yellow end at Doncaster Works in 1984 awaiting disposal. CJM Collection/CJM.

English Electric Type 4 Class 40 buffer beam layout, showing a vacuum brake only example. A-train reporting discs, B-front communicating doors, C-blue star multiple control jumper socket, D-blue star multiple control jumper cable, E-vacuum brake pipe, F-coupling, G-steam heat pipe, H main reservoir pipe, I-engine control air pipe. The front end of No. 40045 is illustrated. CJM.
Painted in post 1967 BR rail blue, No. 40113 is seen at llandudno Junction in 1978 on a railtour. This loco still retains its front communicating doors and disc train reporting system. The loco is viewed from its no. 1 or radiator end. CJM.



Restored to immaculate 1960s green livery with a small yellow warning end, the first of the revised body style locos with solid headcode panel No. D345 is seen on display at Old Oak Common. The only additions from its original condition is dual brake equipment, an orange 'safety' line and modern overhead electric line stickers. CJM.